Friday, October 16, 2009

September 2008 - fall of expectations

I moved back into my parent's house just before Labor Day.  My immediate plan was to take the CBEST so that I might work as a substitute teacher for the next god-knows-how-long until everything else came into focus.  I registered for the test, looked at the study materials, laughed a hearty chuckle, and forgot about it all until the test date.

I also registered for my Birthright Israel trip, the first step in a process that would soon plop me down in the Holy-Landiest of Holy Lands.  I volunteered with Rebecca to read books to kids in a downtown elementary school, through a very fluffy organization called Reading to Kids.  I would have to be more engaged in the community if I was to be worth my salt on any meter.

Mostly, in September, I just tried to maintain, or rebuild, some of the motivation and independence I had felt in SLO.  Its hard to feel independent when you're living at your parent's place though, isn't it?  I began laying the groundwork to improve... like I do.

No comments: